Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Obrigada? Onde? Fala ingles?

This place is AMAZING! We arrived at the Terceira Airport around 8:30 AM Azorean time (aka 4:30 AM EST) which translates to me getting approximately three hours of sleep. The airport is literally right on the coast and next to a beautiful countryside.  The first thing I noticed about the island life is that everything is MUCH slower here. Some examples: the man who checked our passport, the man who filled in our housing papers, the taxi driver….basically everyone we have interacted with. To my surprise, I find the slow pace/inefficiency rather relaxing and charming.  As for my Portuguese well let’s just say ordering a sandwich was a challenge.  But Carissa (one of the other fellows for the Atlantis Project) speaks some Portuguese and is coaching us through it.   I learned that alface= lettuce, atum= tuna, and queijo= cheese. So yeah I had a tuna sandwich with lettuce and cheese in case you didn’t guess.  After lunch we explored Angra Do Heroismo so I will post some pictures of where we went.  The city is decorated with colorful pennants and piƱata-like hanging structures from a recent festival.  It was a short walk to the marina/beach area where we climbed on rocks and admired the scenic views.  We also explored some shops on our walk back. I just got back from a big group dinner (20 people) and I can't wait to go to sleep Oh yeah one other thing, fireworks randomly go off on this island at arbitrary times...as many of you know I am easily startled so I am hoping that by the end of this week I will stop jumping every time I hear them lol (just something to get used to i guess?)

Summary:
* this place is beautiful and relaxing
* I'm safe and settled in
* I stayed awake: Anya 1 - Jet lag 0

Ps This blog is dedicated to all those non-believers who doubted my commitment to blogging (without you I probably wouldn’t have written this).

Love always,
Anya Sophia Keithley


7 comments:

  1. "anya sophia keithley... anya sophia keithley" hahaha MISS YOU!! and i love your first post! the azores sound AMAZING. and good job winning against jet lag! :) keep the posts coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading your blog because it's so Anya. You don't know what's coming next and always worth the wait. I hope you write everyday in between all your adventures. Safe adventures, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i started laughing out loud after imagining you being startled by fireworks... let us know how the first day of class goes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds awesome! Looks like you are definitely going to enjoy yourself this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anya, I meet you at Jordan's graduation party. The Jaffa's passed along your blog.
    It's funny how you can met someone one day find out about a wonderful journey, and follow along. I can hear your giggle as you write.
    Safe travels, enjoy each day.
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Love,

    So i was a little behind on reading your blog but I am getting started. tis is so so so so you. travis was right. amazed you beat the sleep urge. but i am not amazed that you are easily startled. you always have been. keep the posts coming.

    love,
    sister

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry it took so long to start reading but it sounds like you're living it up so far. I'm glad I'm not the only one that's easily startled by things like that! Hope teaching is amazing!!

    Olamide

    ReplyDelete